Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A Dose of Press

I got a gig doing a daily filmmaker's journal for DOSE magazine during the Toronto International Film Festival. www.dose.ca. It's pretty exciting because they're a national publication (distributed in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa) and I'm gonna be doing a piece for them every day for ten days. This is the bio that's going to be part of my first entry, and it gives you an idea of the slant I'm taking with the project:

"Writer/director Doug Karr’s adventures are as diverse as his films: hanging out in war torn countries, sneaking into mental institutions, and lighting cars on fire in confined spaces. Karr’s latest project combines an ambitious love story with pyrotechnics and hot young Canadian stars and he’s crashing the Toronto Film Fest to bring his vision to moguls and movie stars alike."

Basically my job for the next ten days is to break into film festival parties and bug producers and celebrities. The last time I did that was a few months ago when I was asked by a member of Kevin Bacon's entourage to take their photograph with him. I took a shot of the group, but Bacon exclaimed, "Now take one of just me!" I snapped a quick flash in his face and then went about my own business... but a moment later I realized that if Kevin Bacon can interrupt my night, I could in all good conscience interrupt his. I stood up and approached him and politely asked if I could ask him a question. I asked if he might be interested in working on a short film with me here in Toronto, something small, minimal commitment. He thought it over for a second, then bit his lip and said, "Right now I'm a pretty booked." I'm looking forward to seeing Kevin again next week.

1 Comments:

At September 08, 2005 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm excited to hear about your adventures. If you run into Orlando Bloom, tell him I said hi;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home