Thursday, May 05, 2005

Basement Dream

In March of 2002 I was sleeping in a friend's basement in Cambridge, MA, when I awoke with the strangest sensation--my dreams were so vivid that I quickly wrote them down and I realized that I had just met a new person. That night, the 63 year old Darrel Weir was born. An aging Vietnam war correspondent, paralyzed from the waist down, with an angry chip on his shoulder. In the following years his son Owen Weir too became a part of my life. Owen, a Recon Marine dug in on the Saudi/Kuwait boarder waiting for the '91 ground war to begin slowly began to take his place as my protagonist and eventually the feature screenplay "Living-Room War" came into being.

Now, a little over three years later, I've just printed off the fourth draft of my 120 page script for the first time and I'm starting to feel ready to go out and try to raise the money to make it.

3 Comments:

At May 06, 2005 9:50 AM, Blogger fiftyfootgirl said...

Today: the Blogosphere.
Tomorrow: World Domination!

I can't wait to see where this takes you...

Viva la resolution! Viva la blog!

 
At May 09, 2005 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone visualizes a war inside their head, but it's possibly one family, with all different aspects playing respective partial but vital roles. For example, if I frame the "nagging nudge" as someone who loves me and expects great things, I'm more receptive to hearing things I may have overlooked if I ignore it.

On the other hand, Doug, you may have a war going on in your head.

 
At May 28, 2005 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug you make me proud everytime you set out on any whim or idea or thought that enters your head. Again and again your talent amazes me- anything i can do to be a part of your next production or endevour let me know- watching you work is Enigmatic.
- Laura Clark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home